Cook Medical Legal Counsel, Business Development and New Ventures in bloomington, Indiana
The Business Development and New Venture Counsel will provide legal guidance in drafting, negotiating and closing licensing, collaboration, M&A and other similar strategic transactions within the Cook Group organization.
• Provide counsel in business development and other areas of the company on the legal implications of transaction initiatives and strategies, with a focus on licensing and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, joint ventures, development agreements and mergers and acquisitions.• Responsible for strategic transactions by leading legal due diligence, counseling on transaction structures and business terms, assisting with the preparation of non-binding term sheets, and ensuring the preparation and final negotiation of definitive, legally binding documents• Educate, inform, and advise across the organization on compliance and legal issues that inform business decision-making• Collaborate and coordinate with the Global Function to ensure direction and provide timely, accurate and informative reporting as required• Foster and maintain a workplace culture respectful and supportive of individual differences
• Support design, management, development and implementation of functional policies and procedures to drive attainment of organizational and global objectives.• Identify and provide training to operational, divisional and functional teams on legal matters.• Select, supervise and manage external legal advisers and subject matter experts as appropriate and manage legal costs and expenses• Must work and interact effectively and professionally with and for others throughout various levels of the global organization• Must strictly adhere to safety requirements• Must have excellent oral and written communication skills• Must maintain company quality and performance standards• Ability to remain calm and receptive in fast paced situations• Ability to work in collaborative and independent work situations and environments
• Juris Doctorate Degree (JD) with academic credentials from an ABA accredited law school • Minimum 5-10 years of transactional or corporate legal experience preferably within the life science industry• Admitted to practice in the state of Indiana or admitted to practice in a state that offers reciprocity with the state of Indiana
• Negotiation and drafting skills and experience required • Experience with collaborations, association and license agreements strongly preferred• Strong administrative skills and well-developed management skills• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites
• Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations• Majority of work is performed in general office environment• Sitting for extended periods, utilizes close visual acuity for working with computers, etc.
• Ability to travel globally to interact with development, commercial, and third party entities to support contract requirements.• Travel including domestic, international and weekends as needed• Attends and leads various strategic and informational meetings• Requires occasional early morning or evening teleconferences
Job Location(s)Bloomington IN United States
Position TypeFull Time
CompanyCook Group Inc.