Cook Medical Polymer Scientist/ Engineer in Bloomington, Indiana
In this role, you will support the polymer materials laboratory in the development, maintenance, and continuous improvement of material inspection strategies. As a polymer materials subject matter expert, you will provide materials expertise as it relates to product design, processing, and analytical methods to various functions within the organization as well as to customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Steer material inspection strategy during the NPI process, including identification and development of appropriate material inspection methods.
Create, maintain, and where necessary, optimize material inspection processes (such as motivated by continuous improvement or corrective action functions), working with Operations/ Production Engineering/ NPI Engineering to understand requirements.
Generate operator work instructions for the execution and troubleshooting of material testing equipment.
Support and maintenance material testing equipment.
Provide occasional support to the Calibration program, in development of calibration requirements and methods.
Perform and technically interpret/ assess the results of material and product analysis performed internally by yourself or others using a variety of analytical materials testing equipment, including: Melt Index (MI), Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), Ash Testing, Tensile Testing, and others. A thorough understanding of the technical basis of these analytical methods is critical.
Coordinate and technically interpret/ assess the results of material and product analysis performed at external laboratories.
Lead additional, non-standard material testing requests (i.e. perform inspection or define inspection to an inspector and provide results needed to disposition lot with OOS inspection results, or lots where inspections have failed).
Support both customers and internal functions with material and product development inquiries, including material recommendations, material testing and evaluation, and material property and performance characterization.
Support both customer and internal regulatory functions with material information, including researching material information to address requests about materials and components. Regulatory agencies will include the FDA.
Write and maintain Material Purchasing Specifications for purchased materials.
Work with material suppliers as necessary to support internal functions and customer needs.
Identify those items that are minimally required to perform the essential duties of the role.
These arenotrequired to perform the basic functions of the role
Formal education (i.e. High School Diploma, Bachelor’s degree, formal certification)
· A Bachelor’s Degree degree in Chemistry, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science/ Materials Engineering or other similarly relevant STEM discipline.
· Advanced relevant STEM degree.
· Graduate work or equivalent work experience.
Type or number of years directly related work experience
· 0 – 3 years of technicalexperience in a polymers focused materials lab, plastics manufacturing or related manufacturing industry, or equivalent educational experience.
· Familiarity with Melt Index (MI), Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA).
· 3 – 5 years previous experience in a polymers focused materials lab or plastics manufacturing is desired.
Commonly known principles required for this field of work. For example, HVAC certifications, generally accepted accounting principles
· Knowledge of polymer testing and advanced analytical methods.
· Advanced engineering andstatistical problem-solving techniques.
· Relevant specialization may be considered based on anticipated needs.
· GLP understanding.
· CFR, EPA, OSHA and FDA regulations.
• Personal protective equipment including safety glasses, lab coat and gloves required in some areas associated with this position• Sitting for extended periods, utilizes close visual acuity for working with computers, etc• Works under general office environmental conditions
• Moderate exposure to noise level in the work environment that is moderate to occasionally loud• Occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds• Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to grasp, carry, feel or touch; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear
Posting Date1 week ago(10/14/2020 4:25 PM)
Job Location(s)Bloomington IN United States
TravelLess than 10%
Position TypeFull Time
CompanyCook Polymer Technology