United States Steel Student Employee in Gary, Indiana
9400BRMid-Level:Gary Works Work Location:GARY WORKSJob Description:The Plant Process Control Intern position affords the opportunity to apply educational experiences to real world industrial applications. Experiences are offered that encompass both existing system maintenance / enhancements, as well as ground up design, development and installation of new systems and processes, focused on productivity and quality improvements. Strong mentoring by seasoned Control Engineers ensures a mutually beneficial work experience.
Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to the following):
Foster a safe working environment
Learn Business Operations
Accurately design, develop and implement programs and systems to meet identified current and future business needs in accordance with current software development standards and standard operating procedures
Refine and maintain system software used to control process equipment and by modifying existing programs
Analyze and diagnose computer malfunctions and perform necessary corrective measures to efficiently return equipment and/or machinery to operational state that satisfies management objectives
Monitor and conduct necessary tests to assure digital systems are functioning properly
Collaborate with supervisors, operating personnel, and other maintenance personnel regarding system maintenance issues, as well as system enhancement requests
Perform specialized analysis and prepare written reports regarding test results and malfunctions encountered with equipment, offering recommendations for improvements
Perform preventive maintenance on computers and peripheral equipment and maintain performance and maintenance records
Candidates must be a full-time student pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree. Educational Majors: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other IT / Engineering-related discipline.
Candidates must be a current student and have completed their sophomore year by June 2019 and be in good academic standing.
Be authorized to work in the US without sponsorshipAuto req ID:9400BRCompany:United States Steel CorporationCountry:United StatesRequisition Type:US-Non-ExemptPosting Title:Intern - Plant Process Control - (IT or EE) - Gary WorksState/Province:US - INWork Location - City:Gary Company Overview:Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.Preferred Skills:We are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment. The successful undergraduate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement. In addition, a successful intern will have:
• Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for your area of study
• A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
• A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
• An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
• A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
• Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
• The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Leadership and strong decision-making skills
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tacticallyCompetency Summary:As an individual contributor, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to champion change and effective communication while contributing to team success.Equal Employment Opportunity:U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results & accountability, and focus on cost, quality, and customer. We promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.