Sallie Mae Software Engineer II in Indianapolis, Indiana
Software Engineer II
Req ID R01686
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they want--whether that means helping them make college happen, or something more. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills--you're in the right place.
Sallie Mae is seeking top tier individuals who thrive in collaborative agile teams leveraging the latest technologies (Amazon AWS, Clojure/Clojurescript, Reagent/React, AWS Lambda, S3 Buckets, Beanstalk, PaaS, Azure Functions, C#, Python, Java, Go, Swift, Kotlin, .NET Core, NoSQL DB's). Sallie Mae is committed to delivering best-in-class solutions to our customers and is looking for developers who share the desire to deliver only the best code and solutions and who want to continue to sharpen their skills by joining a company that greatly values constant learning, pair-programming, training and career development.
What You'll Contribute:
As part of this team you will build applications that provide modern and intuitive user experiences that delight our customers, continue our Agile and DevOps transformation, work to migrate applications to the cloud, build cloud native solutions, and work with other top developers in building solutions that scale in a high-volume transactional environment.
Support Application Development teams as described below:
- Work in iterative sprints to support the design, development and testing of solutions. Build automation and tests to streamline the code to cash pipeline. Support the refactoring of new and legacy code as we work towards eliminating technical debt.60%
- Collaborate with agile teams to support the identification of the approach, dependencies, tasks, and seek opportunities for automation; partner with other team members, help onboard other top-talented developers. 20%
- Continually improve your craft as a software engineer by learning and leveraging the latest design patterns, principles and technology. Attend training, participate in Communities of Practice (CoPs), and read related materials to stay ahead of the technology curve.20%
What You bring:
- 3+ years of experience as a full-time software developer or engineer.
- 2+ years full stack development.
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle and experience working in Agile methodologies.
- Knack for writing clean, readable, and easily maintainable code.
- Experience working with automated testing platforms.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well with peers and management.
- Skill for writing reusable and platform libraries.
- Familiar with various design and architectural patterns.
- Experience with asynchronous processing.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles for building a scalable and highly available application.
- Strong understanding and experience writing unit tests.
2+ years of experience:
C# .NET backend development and strong knowledge of .NET platform.
- Two or more programming languages: C#, Groovy, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and Scala.
- Designing, developing and consuming RESTful, SOAP and GraphQL based web services for mission critical, high volume systems.
- Basic understanding of Common Language Runtime (CLR), its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools: git
- College Degree or equivalent work experience.
Extra Credit :
- Programming experience multiple scripting and programming languages and supporting technologies such as Reagent/React, Clojure/Clojurescript, AWS Lamda, Java, Python, R, Ruby, Go, bash, Swift, Beanstalk, VSTS.
- Software architecture experience.
- Test driven development. (TDD)
- Experience with Event Driven and event sourced architectures leveraging microservices.
- Experience designing/developing robust API's for mission critical, high volume systems. (RESTful, GraphQL)
- Expertise with IBM Connect Direct Secure Plus, Linux Red Hat Administration.
- Excellent understanding of file transfer protocols: SFTP/FTP/FTPS/HTTPS.
- Superior Linux shell scripting abilities with some background in Perl, Awk, Python and Java.
- In depth knowledge of data encryption (GPG/PGP/7za w/password) as well as encrypted transmission.
- In depth knowledge of system permissions, sendmail.
- Experience, knowledge, or training with any Extract, Translate, and Load (ETL) tools, with preference given to Informatica experience.
- Relational database experience, such as SQL Server and Oracle.
Cloud computing and / or AWS experience or certified training.
EEO Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America. Sallie Mae is a drug free workplace.
Location Indianapolis, IN
Date Posted Apr 25, 2018