Sallie Mae Software Engineer, Senior in Indianapolis, Indiana
Software Engineer, Senior
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine—whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills—you’re in the right place.
What you'll contribute:
As part of the Application Delivery team you will build applications that provide modern and intuitive user experiences that delight our customers, continue our Agile and DevOps transformation, work to migrate applications to the cloud, build cloud native solutions, and work with other top developers in building solutions that scale in a high-volume transactional environment.
What you'll do:
• Leads Application Development teams. 60%
Works in iterative sprints to drive the design, development and testing of solutions.
Builds automation and tests to streamline the code to cash pipeline.
Refactors new and legacy code as we work towards eliminating technical debt.
• Collaborates with agile teams to identify approach, dependencies, tasks, and seek opportunities for automation. 20%
Leads other team members, helps recruit and onboard other top-talented developers.
• Continually improves craft as a software engineer by learning and leveraging the latest design patterns, principles and technology. 20%
Leads training and Communities of Practice (CoPs), and reads related materials to stay ahead of the technology curve.
What you need to succeed:
Being focused on our customer helps us to deliver a lasting impression and instill trust. Through collaboration and teamwork, we are able to communicate effectively across departments leading to better decision quality. We hold ourselves to the highest standards ensuring accountability in all we do to deliver on our mission and shared values.
What you have:
• College Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 5+ years of experience as a full-time software developer or engineer.
• 3 - 5 years full stack development.
• 3 - 5 years of experience:
C# .NET backend development and strong knowledge of .NET platform
Fluent in two or more programming languages: C#, Groovy, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and Scala
Designing, developing and consuming RESTful, SOAP and GraphQL based web services for mission critical, high volume systems
• Basic understanding of Common Language Runtime (CLR), its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as git
• Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle and experience working in Agile methodologies
• Knack for writing clean, readable, and easily maintainable code
• Experience working with automated testing platforms
• Ability to communicate effectively and work well with peers and management
• Skill for writing reusable and platform libraries
• Familiar with various design and architectural patterns
• Experience with asynchronous processing
• Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
• Understanding of fundamental design principles for building a scalable and highly available application
• Strong understanding and experience writing unit tests
• Programming experience multiple scripting and programming languages and supporting technologies such as React, AWS, Java, Python, R, Ruby, Go, bash, Swift, Azure DevOps
• Hands on experience with functional programming languages
• Software architecture experience
• Test driven development (TDD) experience
• Experience with Event Driven and event sourced architectures leveraging microservices
• Experience designing/developing robust API’s for mission critical, high volume systems. (RESTful, GraphQL, AWS API Gateway)
• Strong experience with AWS storage components S3 & Glacier
• Experience working in financial services industry, regulated compliance environment
What You'll Get at Sallie Mae:
Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
Wellness : Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. EEO is the Law Supplement. Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.
- Sallie Mae Jobs