Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Production Technician in Monticello, Indiana
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation is a supplier of high quality metal packaging for beverage, food and household products customers, and of aerospace and other technologies and services, primarily for the U.S. government. Our approximately 15,000 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball's largest business is the manufacture of recyclable beverage cans and ends. A lot of engineering and technology goes into making beverage packaging at speeds of more than 2,000 cans a minute. We operate beverage can facilities in the Americas, Europe and Asia - about one in every four beverage cans in the world is made by Ball - and our products are used by the most recognizable beverage brands in the world.
Ball is a Lean/SixSigma environment – exposure to these tools and methods is preferred.
The Ball metal beverage packaging facility in Monticello, Indiana, has been manufacturing aluminum cans for the beverage industry since 1988. The plant operates multiple high-speed production lines that manufacture a variety of can and bottle sizes for well-known beer and beverage customers. The plant employs more than 220 dedicated team members who together produce more than 3.1 billion infinitely recyclable beverage containers each day.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant’s production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Performs duties as required to ensure compliance with the plant’s quality standards.
- Performs various manual or mechanical production functions by operating, adjusting, and repairing production equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Disassembles, overhauls, and rebuilds production equipment under the supervision of a qualified maintainer.
- Performs troubleshooting on production equipment as required.
- Performs preventative maintenance on production equipment as required.
- Inputs data on a computer terminal to identify, label, and palletize finished products.
- Conducts inspection of in-process or finished product.
- Assists in making major adjustments or mechanical repairs to production equipment.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies required for assigned area.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- Rotates through workstations as needed for coverage, relief, and training purposes as required in conjunction with on-the-job training.
- May operate can line briquetter. Ensures briquetter is running properly. Removes all briquettes from the conveyor, stacks briquettes on pallets according to scrap class, and weighs and tags scrap pallets for shipment.
- May operate end line baler and slug accumulator. Removes all bales and loads them onto trailer. Removes/replaces accumulation boxes for slugs, and weighs and tags accumulation boxes for shipment.
- May restack and load empty coil pallets for return to aluminum suppliers.
- May prepare for shipment returnable drums, totes, and vendor return loads.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Required to perform all production technician duties. May be required to rotate among specific production technician assignments within the department as needed. Relieves production technicians for breaks.
- Supplies and maintains required hand tools.
- May be required to go to customer(s) to troubleshoot equipment and/or finished cans.
- Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Mechanical job related experience for 1 year minimum.
- Troubleshooting skills/experience.
- Experience working in an industrial environment.
- Working knowledge of the following areas:
- Machine mechanics
- Troubleshooting skills
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard manufacturing and plant quality techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Ability to learn operating principles and nomenclature of all assigned equipment and products.
- Ability to learn nomenclature of all assigned equipment, products, and quality standards.
- Ability to learn to identify product defects.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend written material.
- Ability to operate fork truck and aero lift, if required.
- May require forklift license.
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to details.
- Must have sufficient endurance to perform tasks over long periods of time.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains an awareness of and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Production Technician
Job ID: 664632
Location: IN - Monticello
Full/Part Time: Full-Time