Progress Rail Services Corp. Locomotive Traction Systems Engineer in Muncie, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3304BR
Posting Title: Locomotive Traction Systems Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Alternative Work Location: Operations Building 1
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Work in a team environment as part of Progress Rail’s Traction Systems Design Group, assigned to PRS Muncie facility as a Locomotive Traction Systems Engineer.
Contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgment, decision making, and creativity.
Key Job Elements
• Perform mechanical design, analysis, and testing of locomotive structures and components including: bogies and traction motor combos.
• Assignment will include providing shop support and production problem resolution related to design issues for bogie assembly and traction motor combo..
• Conduct diagnostic investigations, analyze data with support, implement, and verify fixes.
• Knowledge of manufacturing and mechanical aspects of bogie components and electrical rotating machinery.
• Responsible for creating and interpreting design and performance specifications and providing compliant designs.
• Testing and validation of new designs and equipment.
• Work with other departments within PRS and suppliers as required.
• Other activities such as resolution of field problems and cost saving activities as required.
• Travel as necessary, and flexibility to work on special assignments as required.
Education / Training
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent; MS in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
Additional Candidate Qualifications:
• Minimum of 3 years practical work experience in Mechanical Engineering or related field;
• Excellent analytical abilities where problems are very complex;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Demonstrated understanding of materials, engineering theory and principles of design, including bolted joint design;
• Solid structural design experience;
• Thorough understanding of manufacturing processes.
• Previous locomotive familiarity and design experience;
• Experience using Unigraphics in engineering design process;
• FEA experience.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities